Family & Community Engagement Plan
Parent and Family Engagement Plan
Maury Middle School 2021-22
Maury Middle School will foster a welcoming, cooperative, and mutually supportive climate for all families. We seek high quality, effective communication with parents and families through the following avenues:
· Parent and Family/School/Student Compacts, which outline responsibilities for each party in the process of achieving success for students.
· “BlackBoard” phone system, to send parents, families, students, and staff messages via phone and email. Reminders and upcoming events are announced weekly via Blackboard.
· Parents and Families can receive information through Facebook and Twitter · The MMS website, is found at http://mms.jc-schools.net/; contains all faculty email addresses, school information and activities.
· Monthly school newsletter/calendar of events and informative flyers.
· Parent and Family-Teacher Conferences during fall and spring semesters
· Student planners contain handbooks with school rules and procedures
· Open-door policy for parent and family concerns via phone, email, or team meetings.
· School marquee displays important upcoming events.
· Hornet PRIDE athletic organization for extra-curricular parent and family participation.
· School counselors, teacher teams, and administration keep in contact with parents and families regarding social, emotional, or academic concerns.
· Report cards every 9 weeks and mid-terms between each 9 week reporting periods; parents have access to Aspen (web-based grading system used by teachers); Student academic progress is viewable to parents and families through Aspen.
Maury Middle School will establish multiple activities designed to celebrate and involve family –community-school partnerships:
· MMS trains volunteers on discipline and FERPA along with health and safety measures.
· MMS hosts a Night of the Arts in December to exhibit student talents in singing, playing instruments, creating artworks, and acting.
· Veterans are invited to MMS for refreshments and performance by the band/music students on Veteran’s Day.
· The school library sponsors two Book Fairs a year. Students purchase books and win books throughout the week. The Book Fair is open one evening for Family Night. Parents and families are invited to assist in the library during this time.
· MMS participates in a food drive each year for Christmas in Jefferson County. The canned foods that are collected from various schools are put together for needy families.
At Maury Middle School, we will support the academic interests and address the academic needs of all students; we will meet the broad array of social and health needs of our students; we will continuously work together to support student learning both at home and school:
· Before- and after-school tutoring is available to targeted students based on individual deficits.
· Administration, teachers, and counselors meet with parents and guardians to discuss student academic, attendance, and behavioral concerns.
· Students set goals and track their progress and achievement in all subjects utilizing Individual Learning Plans (ILPs). ILPs are reviewed with parents during conferences.
· Teachers, parents and families use daily planners for communication between home and school.
· Teachers utilize communication apps to easily pass along information to families.
· Aspen is utilized by faculty to communicate grades, assignments, and important events.
· Edulastic, Moby Max, Khan Academy, and other resources are all subscribed programming available to students at home through the internet.
· School counselors provide individual, small, and large group sessions to meet social, academic, and career needs.
· MMS has a full-time nurse on site to attend to student’s needs
· EMED is available as an online medical option accessible to students and staff.
· Allied Behavioral Health has partnered with the district and is accessible for students and families online and at school for mental health issues.
· MMS has an attendance intervention plan to increase student graduation rate and post-secondary success.